I’m sorry for disappearing last week. But this week I come back with a bang – my go-to, stress-free, no-brainer chicken in a mushroom creamy sauce!
It’s been a favourite of mine for many years now, because 1) it’s quick, 2) it’s easy, 3) it’s very affordable, and 4) so far everyone I’ve made it for loved it. Even my father-in-law who can’t stand cream. #win
- Diced chicken breasts – I used 2 small ones for the two of us
- Mushrooms – I used 6 big closed cup ones, because I love mushrooms! You can use any sort of mushroom you like
- Cream – I used lactose free, but you can also use double cream. I don’t recommend single cream because the sauce can get a bit too runny
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- Butter or Olive oil
- Garlic – fresh minced, or dried granules
- Herbs de Provence
- Optional: leafy greens like spinach, watercress, etc.
- In a pan, heat up the butter / olive oil and the chicken stock cube until it’s all melted together.
- Add the diced chicken breasts and combine.
- Season with a little salt – take into consideration that the stock cube is already salted, so you might not need any at all – pepper, garlic, and herbs de provence. Stir to combine.
- When the chicken is nice and brown, add your mushrooms, and combine everything.
- When the mushrooms have absorbed the flavour of the chicken and seasoning, add your cream and a little nutmeg. This is my little secret: when making cream based sauces or dishes, I always add a little nutmeg to help balance the flavours! Stir to combine.
- At this point, turn down your heat, stirring occasionaly. This is where I start cooking my side – rice, pasta, chips… The possibilities are endless. Also, if you want to add some greens to the mix, now is the time to do it.
- After about 10 minutes, the cream should have thickened a bit. Turn off your hob, take to the table and enjoy!
Here’s my final dish:
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know in the comments if you’ve tried it, what you thought, and maybe even send a picture of your chicken!