For years, every time my husband makes his signature Almond Tart, everyone wants the recipe, and everyone badgers him for days after, trying to get his recipe. His secret – the crispy almond topping!
Without further ado, here’s Joao’s recipe for the Almond Tart (enjoy, Mum!).
For the base:
- 250 g caster sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 50 g milk
- 375 g all-purpose flour
- 80 g ground almond flour
- 10 g baking powder
For the topping:
- 200 g sliced almonds
- 200 g caster sugar
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp milk
- Starting with the base, preheat your oven at 170° C, grease and flour two springform cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and the melted butter. Incorporate thoroughly.
- Add the eggs, one by one, mixing well between each egg.
- Add the milk, the flour, the almond flour and the baking powder. Mix the batter thoroughly.
- Distribute the batter between the cake pans, and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the cake base cool for a bit, and poke through. Set aside.
- Let’s move on to the topping: In a pan, melt the butter with the sugar, combining well and making sure there are no sugary lumps.
- Add the cinnamon and the sliced almonds, and incorporate well.
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, and incorporate well. You should now have a sugary mixture, and quite silky in texture.
- Distribute the almond topping between the cake bases, and put in the oven just enough to harden the topping, and make it golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, serve and enjoy!
Here’s our almond cake:
I hope you like this recipe. Please let me know in the comments if you’ve tried it, what you thought, and maybe even send a picture of your almond cake!